Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

76897 Posts in 7102 Topics- by 208 Members - Latest Member: eeceetee

August 14, 2018, 07:53:17 PM
Rock And SurfGeneral CategoryGeneral Discussion / Off the hookCall to boycott DA over Maiden's Cove plan
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Call to boycott DA over Maiden's Cove plan  (Read 1229 times)
Sparty
Global Moderator
Master Fisherman

Daltjies 118

« on: July 15, 2016, 02:47:35 PM »

Cape Town - The City of Cape Town’s approach to building and development in the city could affect the DA’s performance at the polls next month.

An online petition against the DA and mayor Patricia de Lille is calling on residents to boycott the party at the ballot box, if the city council proceeds with plans for the R1.5 billion private development of Maiden’s Cove.

An online petition is calling for a boycott of the DA at the ballot box, if the City of Cape Town proceeds with a R1.5bn private development plan for Maiden's Cove. File picture: Willem Law. Credit: INDEPENDENT MEDIA
Posted to the Facebook group “Save Cape Town”, the administrator of the group and the petition’s creator, filmmaker Mark Jackson, has called on petitioners to sign “in a desperate bid to save Cape Town”.

“I’m very concerned about what is happening to Cape Town under De Lille’s watch, and I think most people are not aware of how bad this could get, and so people need to act now,” he told the Cape Argus.

The petition also makes reference to approvals for a R1bn high-rise development in the Bo-Kaap, saying it was a slap in the face of locals who had objected.

On Wednesday the council’s spatial planning, environment and land use management committee is due to decide on plans for 400 houses to be built in Kommetjie.

The community is now rallying to mount a legal challenge to stop it, saying it would ruin the rural feel of the area and the infrastructure would not cope.

The city’s DA administration has also come under fire for giving tacit approval to the development of hundreds of houses, shops and a school on agricultural land in the Philippi Horticultural Area.

“We’ve had to sue our own city council to save the Sea Point promenade from commercial exploitation. We had to fight to save Princess Vlei. Now we are drawing the line. We know there are other parties to vote for besides the DA or ANC,” said the petition.

By the time of going to press on Monday, the Maiden’s Cove petition was nearing 500 signatures after four days.

Jackson said the online petition would remain open until the election with the aim of reaching at least 5 000 signatures.

But the DA’s media manager in the City of Cape Town, Cameron Arendse said “Save Cape Town” was peddling false information in a bid to get the ANC elected.

It was untrue that the Maiden’s Cove development would result in reduced public access, he said.

In the petition, De Lille is accused of not addressing allegations that developers are being favoured in return for party donations.

But, Arendse said: “If there is any evidence of corruption, then those who have the evidence should disclose it and lay charges with the police. The city requires the developer to upgrade the public spaces and open them to the public to enjoy.”

The city removed its original Facebook post of two weeks ago informing the public of its planned development of the Maiden’s Cove Coastal Park, after a flood of objections, and replaced it with a new post.

Deputy mayor Ian Neilson said on Monday that the developer would pay for all public amenities at Maiden’s Cove which would include boardwalks, new ablution facilities and braai areas.

But the online petition says objectors would prefer the natural beauty and open space.

“We would appreciate a boardwalk, and know that building a simple boardwalk actually has nothing to do with this selling-off of public property,” said the petition.

“After more than 100 years of preservation from developers, all this will now be lost, to us and future generations.”

Chris Willemse, the chairman of the Camps Bay Ratepayers and Residents Association said while he supported the petition’s initiative, ratepayers’ associations were non-political.

“We have to keep putting pressure on the ruling party, but people must decide what they want to do. Petitions are a good thing because it highlights the problems facing the communities and how politicians are doing, but people must make a decision based on their own interests,” he said.

Jenny McQueen of the Green Point Ratepayers and Residents Association agreed, saying she viewed the petition as a threat to be heard.

“As a ratepayers’ association we don’t support any political side. We only want to fight the city council and the DA against their selling off public land.”

Jackson said if the petition was unsuccessful it could be used in a legal challenge to reflect the number of objectors.

Float like a bee , sting like a butterfly

My blood is green !
Slider - dalkill
Global Moderator
Master Fisherman

Daltjies 374

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 10:26:10 AM »

It's a thin line CoCt has to walk.

I should be one of the those shouting the loudest for such developments.
Not only is my house plans denied because i'm not a major developer, but also can you imagine what traffic going to look like in 5 years town in the CBD. OHHH the opstropelation levels !!

But on the other hand, we want to create jobs. How can we do this by everytime denying such big projects.
Yes it's going to take away from the nature, views, etc, etc. But if you don't provide that unemployed guy with job then he just may turn to crime, and rob or murder you while you enjoying that wonderful walk in nature.

So ja, i don't know who is right in this instance. Those well off people who want to keep "their" Maidon's Cove lovely and open , or CoCt who wants to create investment and jobs in the province.
Yes ofcourse there is the underhanded dealing which may be an issue. Bribery, corruption etc. BUT at the end of the day with major development come major income generating opportunities. I just hope it goes to those who REALLY need it.
rob
Global Moderator
Master Fisherman

Daltjies 146

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 10:28:58 AM »

Like you said - congestion. Best way to alleviate this and keep the memories of maidens cove is to develop elsewhere. Maybe along the west coast, milnerton tableview area.
rob
Global Moderator
Master Fisherman

Daltjies 146

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 09:44:13 AM »

Dalkill
Please go and investigate at 28 coventry road woodstock/walmer estate. We sold there as we were not allowed to do underpinning or any other fixing and renovations. The person who bought from us then sold with plans for a double story. The current owners have since done a few alterations including building an extra room and converting one room into a garage.
Slider - dalkill
Global Moderator
Master Fisherman

Daltjies 374

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 08:42:57 AM »

JA Rob...

It's all about who you know, or bribe..

http://www.heritagesa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=496:8-romney-rd-green-point-&catid=3:branch-news&Itemid=52

THis house was given go ahead to demolish, and it in far better condition than mine.

I'm tired of all politics on bokaap. Our very own Bokaap Civic cares more about old mud and stone than they do the health and safety of my family. The very same people i grew up with and infront of.
Then they want to preach about gentrification and don't sell you heritage. Screw that.

Anybody knows someone selling property in Rondebosch East, Crawford, Kenwyn, Lansdowne (ROndebosch East side preferrably). Preferabbly plot so i can maximise space. I got big family and need big grounds to expand.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 08:51:44 AM by Slider - dalkill » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: