Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

76897 Posts in 7102 Topics- by 208 Members - Latest Member: eeceetee

August 14, 2018, 07:54:04 PM
Rock And SurfAnglers Corner - Fishing post's only - All junk post's will be deletedTackle boxDaiwa SL30 - Braid or Mono? ~~~Advice please
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Daiwa SL30 - Braid or Mono? ~~~Advice please  (Read 2216 times)
LANG
Development Fisherman

Daltjies 15

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2016, 10:27:46 AM »

Awesome stuff
I wonder how many more months before the next post Afro

lol

I agree...

its all about the fight!
Sylvester
Master Fisherman

Daltjies 69

Groen onnie.....

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2016, 09:27:37 PM »

The small plastic bits in the bag are the cast control parts, I would suggest you fit those if you plan on fishing braid. Take the reel to Keith Murison for a good service and ask him to put them in. only 2 of the 4 go in at a time. you choose heavy or light breaking, if I recall correctly.

I wouldn't recommend braid for a multiplier though. if you do go braid then as suggested earlier the 40 or 50lb fireline is the way to go. it is nice and thick and will be more user friendly, especially when casting. Be sure to fish with a small piece of 0.60 between the mainline and the trace. it is a great snap point if you get stuck. You will not need a leader, you can fish straight fireline. The fireline is stronger than any mono leader so the mono is pointless.

A good 0.40 mono is great on those little reels. I would choose that over braid for sure. it will give you more distance and less headaches!

"I had inspiration not education, if I was educated I'd be a fool!" - Robert Nesta"Bob" Marley
LANG
Development Fisherman

Daltjies 15

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2016, 08:02:22 AM »

Thanks Sylvester!

So I went to Suburban... Guy called Peter helped me.

He said that for a SL30 I should not use braid. He said braid is best used on a aluminium or metal spool.

The SL30's spool is not aluminium / metal .... for this reason if I was to use it would crack my spool in the long run because the tightness and tension of the braid can cause lots of pressure on the spool.

He said the SL30 XSHA is the one that can take braid as it has a aluminium/metal spool..

Unfortunately my normal SL30 SH does not have it.

In the end had to go with Suffix XXL 13.6kg line with a 0.40 leader line.

Thanks again for all the advice... as soon as I invest in another reel.. I will be sure to use braid on that one
 I luf R&S
 We love R&S

its all about the fight!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to: